please light a candle for Jack (diagnosed with PT)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

please light a candle for Jack (diagnosed with PT)

Post by Francois on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:19 am

This morning we took Jack to the vet, as we noticed he stopped climbing the girls cages and his gait started to look wobbly and barely used his paws for eating.... Sad

Knowing that his brother, Ted, went over the rainbow 2 months ago after being diagnosed PT we feared the worst.

But with Ted we learned the lesson to act quick and the vet (Barbra O'Malley in Bray) diagnosed Jack with PT in early stages.

We got him on a treatment of prednisone (to reduce the swelling), Galastop (hormone inhibitor to stop/reduce the TP growth and Septrin to give him an antibiotic boost.

Jack is just 16 months old now and he is not the most beautiful rat, calmest, or the lickiest of our merry bunch, but he is our special guy due to his personality and we love him to bits. We'd be heart broken to see him go now. Cry

So besides the best medical care we can get, I would like to ask to light a candle for our Jack, or pray to any ratty gods you know of, so he can stay with us a bit longer to show his dancing moves, huff at Doodles and Sunshine and tear more cat toys apart.

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Re: please light a candle for Jack (diagnosed with PT)

Post by Dangerousbeans on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:28 am

Awww, poor Jack.
I love the photo, he looks like he is having soooo much fun playing with his toy.
We followed his adventures with the castle and bat detector. Will be thinking of you.
x

Dangerousbeans

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:04 am

All the best for him Sad I've never had a rat come back from a PT - but there's always a first I suppose - so I have everything crossed Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:36 am

Jack is holding up, its only 1 day after starting the treatment and although he seems a bit groggy from the meds (we were told this might happen the first days), he still felt like a short roam and digging into our left over pizza. Keeping him eating and drinking is our main concern right now until the meds can start show effect. With that, he can eat whatever he desires and he takes advantage of that fact. We even serve him breakfast in bed.

His mobility is not too bad yet and he can still groom a bit, but we give him a good groom over twice a day with warm damp cloth and toothbrushes. It boggling galore for him Smile

If he is not going to make it, we'll make sure he goes spoiled rotten.

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois on Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:53 am

Update:

Day 2 now.

If I have to go by the way he is acting when we give him his medicine, I must say he is improving.
Jack is squirming and being his usual royal pain in the buttocks when things don't go his way and it really takes 2 to give him his medicine now. Laugh
As a reward for not scratching us totally to bits he got a piece of fresh bread which he happily chomped down, holding it with both hands.

So whoever is burning candles and asking favours of the ratty gods, please keep doing it! Smile

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:28 pm

Oh no! Francois I'm so sorry Sad Fingers crossed that the medication enables him to live a long and happy life with it *hug*

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois on Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:10 am

katherine wrote:Oh no! Francois I'm so sorry Sad Fingers crossed that the medication enables him to live a long and happy life with it *hug*

Thanks Katherine,

We can only hope for the best. At the moment he seems to be bouncing back, but we saw the same with Ted before he completely collapsed and had to be pts.
However, we are much quicker with Jack on the diagnoses and treatment. If any ratty has the determination to see this through, it's Jack, but we are also being realistic about it. Most optimistically he has a 50-50 change to pull through and perhaps extend his life with 6 months on meds.

Each day given, we spoil him senseless...

When we watch him doing his "tour" while free ranging, I just feel an enormous admiration to his displayed willpower. He is so set on doing his ratty things and is being stubborn towards his current restriction in movement and balance.

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:13 am

Best of luck to him <3

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:38 am

update:

Day 5 and Jack is still with us Smile
He is still wobbly on his feet, but seems a bit stronger. Still eating whatever he wishes and at times using his hands.
Had a chat with the vet today, its still early to tell if he will make it, but with the meds he's on, it can take up to 3 weeks to see if he can recover.
At the moment we seemed to have halted on his condition worsening further.

He seems to favour his regular food again, along with some pasta left over form last nights dinner. When its around his usual free roaming time, he passes in his cage as to tell "let me out to play!" Smile

We let his walk a bit on the floor so he can do his rounds by the castle (and pee on it) and then he uses the soft tunnel to access the digging box, which is his favourite nap spot.

Yesterday he even ventured up to Doodles and Sunshine's cage, using the ramp , to huff at them. Just to let them now he's still out and about and nowhere near on giving up his top alpha spot of the room. When Sunshine seemed to cower enough, Jack was satisfied and retreated to the digging box for a nap.

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:58 am

Hope Jack is still doing well. He looks a real cutie.
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:19 pm

GillianK wrote:Hope Jack is still doing well. He looks a real cutie.

Jack is still with us Smile

There's no real improvement in terms of him regaining his balance, but he can still get about and explore during free ranging. He has trouble grooming himself, but we give him a bath, which he seems to enjoy. But he is getting thoroughly spoiled Smile Since he has lost much of his strength and can't balance properly, he got to free range with the girls, and meet up with his sister again (under a very watchful eye) and they give him a bit of grooming as well. (although Bubbles seems content just squeeking at him Tongue )

We hoped that with Jack being in his current state, he would mellow down a bit towards our young boys, Sunshine and Doodles. That was a bit much to wish for, as he made it perfectly clear to Sunshine that he wasn't dead yet and sent him cowering Laugh

He still loves his scritches and treats, so as long he has some quality of life of doing rattie things, he will be with us Smile

Here's a few picks of Jack being wrapped up in a towel, and as you can see, he is one happy rat Smile

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:36 pm

Jack is not doing to well at the moment. It has been a week now since he had a break from getting Galastop and only on prednisone. Like I saw before, when we interrupted the Galastop, he seems slipping into a worsened condition. He doesn't drink the amount he should and I think he lost weight again, even we did supplement by handfeeding the Harrison Juvinile bird formula (recommended by the vet) He loves the stuff.

We are off to the vet again this afternoon, hopefully to get him another course of Galastop, which always seems to perk him up quite a bit. Its such a shame that a special license is needed to order the Galastop in.

At the moment he looks anxious and confused, so I hope that another round of Galastop will bring back some quality in his life. If not, its time to call a tough decision. Cry

Jack doesn't seem to be ready to give up just yet, so I hope the Galastop will give him some more time.

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:32 am

Sad I'm sorry - I do hope the galastop will continue to help him.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:45 am

Well, good news regarding Jack! We went to the vet on Friday and they had his medicine rushed in. Jack was in a poor state, starting to have seizures. But after some serious saline injections and a double dose of Galastop we could immediately see improvement. We had to stay in Bray for the night as we attended a party there, so we smuggled Jack in to the hotel room. We checked on him regularly and spoiled him rotten as his appetite picked up, gave him a bath and let him jump on the beds Smile This morning we smuggled some scrambled eggs in to the room, which he finished off with gusto. Back home now he is snuggled up in his blanket and the seizures seemed to have stopped altogether. We got a good supply of his medicine and the vet even took in some reserve, for when we run out. I guess Jack is staying with us a little longer Smile

Here is an important lesson learned: When ratty is diagnosed with PT, Galastop is the only way to go and they require continuous treatment. They will never get better, but it will help to sustain a good quality of life. Most importantly, stress with your vet to have a supply of the stuff, or order in timely. 1 week of interruption of treatment can really send them in a bad state.

Jack's brother, Ted, had given his life showing its important to act quickly on signs of PT (we didn't even know about the disorder until we learned of it too late). This lesson made us very alert when Jack showed the first signs. Thank fully Jack didn't have to die to teach us that proper continuous treatment is important Smile

Last of all, its not cheap! I think we spend a good 300 Euro so far in the last 2 months on vet visits meds and travel. The Galastop is about 22 Euro per 7ml bottle, usual daily dose is 0.5 ml for a rat around the 600 grams as a maintenance dose, (or double, if seizures occur) Also 1 - 2 tablets of prednisone per day helps reduce the swelling and boosts their appetite. Your biggest worry is fluid intake, as they stop drinking rather quickly with PT, so lots of wet food and a weekly saline injection keeps them going. Last time Jack was on Galastop he started drinking again, so we hope to see that happening during the coming week.

And of course a big huge thanks to every one that keeps the candles burning or sending ratty prayers up to the ratty gods Smile

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:01 pm

Glad to hear he's still soldiering on. Sounds like he's living the high life anyway Smile

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:09 pm

katherine wrote:Glad to hear he's still soldiering on. Sounds like he's living the high life anyway Smile

He's holding on like a trooper. He has lost a lot of weight though, but we try to fatten him up Smile

Yesterday he started eating solids again, he seems to be into dog kibble at the moment Laugh

We also gave him a little bit more room in his cage, he's back to 2 levels (of the 3) with a nice wide access ramp. I saw him do an experimental lick on his water bottle as well, so hopefully he will be starting drinking by himself soon Smile

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum