Acting odd? . . . Or normal?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Acting odd? . . . Or normal?

Post by Diggerdawg on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:14 am

Hiya. So as some of you may have seen from my 'Your rats' post, I'm very new to the forum and to rat owning. I've got two lovely boys (one black 11 weeks old and one Russian Silver 10 weeks old). they're generally settling in great. Hoyt the younger Silver boy LOVES his food and is much quicker to climb up to me and say hello and seems to be developing a liking for sitting on my shoulder! Initially he was the more skittish of the two but has become braver. He's not as quick to be ok with new things but once he tries it once he's fine then They both live in a Furet Tower and stick almost entirely to the top floor where they were put initially. They both do the upstairs tunnel without a problem but Hoyt will not go down the tunnel to the lower floor! I've put them down there myself and Alcide has mastered going up and down it but Hoyt won't.

They get on great with each other. I've seen grooming and snoozing together. No playing really but I'm not worried about that.

Anyway, here's what I'm worried about, although it could be completely normal! The last 2-3 days Alcide is acting very strange (or at least differently) to how he was initially. Initially he was the brave and curious one. More active than Hoyt. Never really wanting as much contact from us people but again I was giving that time and feeding him from my hand whenever he came to the door of the cage. The last few days he's not as active. He still startles but other than that he seems slow moving. He doesn't seem to have any injury. He's bright eyed and eating and drinking and pooing/peeing the same. He seems to be focusing on the tunnel To the lower floor. He was previously going up and down it confidently and easily although not very often. Now. Keep finding him staring into the opening but not going down it. Or just sitting in it for ages! I wouldn't say he's lethargic but seems 'slow' if that makes sense? Sometimes he'll just sit somewhere as if frozen to the spot.

I haven't a clue! Any ideas? Is this just normal settling in or could he be freaked out by something or sick? Help? Meh

Diggerdawg

Back to top Go down

Re: Acting odd? . . . Or normal?

Post by Zoundz on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:48 pm

He doesn't sound sick to me (though if you're ever really concerned, best to see a vet just to be sure), however perhaps he's fallen and it's to do with that tunnel? Perhaps he was just really spooked by something, and he may have bruised himself. They may both be quite active at night when you're not around, and perhaps had a bit of a bash - this can make them quite slow and careful until they feel better.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggerdawg on Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:59 am

Ya, I think you're spot on. He definitely doesn't seem sick. I'd be straight to vet if I thought any chance he was sick or injured. A fall is possible. He definitely seems more spooked than usual so that's possible too. This evening I've noticed himself and Hoyt seem to be a bit wary of each other this evening, even though they've spent all day in the hammock together. I do now also wonder is Alcide 'guarding' the entrance to downstairs tunnel? Hoyt doesn't tend to venture that direction but when he went towards it earlier Alcide vocalised in some way and Hoyt shot off away from him. But Hoyt seems happy and confident and not generally worried by him. Feel bad for poor Alcide. He just seems so quiet. Is there anything I can/should do to help? Sad

Diggerdawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum