Advice needed on older girls

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Advice needed on older girls

Post by Francois on Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:33 am

Our oldest girl Shiva (sister of Jack and Ted) seems to have expanded quite a bit lately, so much that we call her "our little heifer" Laugh

I know they can put on some weight when older, but she seems very voluptuous now.

Her cage mate, Bubbles, seems at to stay the same (albeit perhaps 2 months younger) and they eat the same food (suparat one day and home mixed the other day)

Its just so obvious that Shiva is much more voluptuous then Bubbles (although I have to say she carries it well, looking all cuddly and having this nice thick and round tail.)

We have cut down on the treats (no more monkey peanuts) but since they are cage mates, its rather difficult to control Shiva's intake. (plus Bubbles like to hoard and Shiva like to pillage Bubbles' hoard Smile )

Any suggestions on how much weight gain is normal?

Cheers

Francois

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Re: Advice needed on older girls

Post by Zoundz on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:05 pm

There are a few illnesses that can cause it - but mostly it's just that they're eating more. Perhaps try taking her out for the first ten minutes at feeding time? Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Francois on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:18 pm

Zoundz wrote:There are a few illnesses that can cause it - but mostly it's just that they're eating more. Perhaps try taking her out for the first ten minutes at feeding time? Smile

xx

That sounds like an idea, but Bubbles, her cage mate, likes to hide the food (which Shiva will expertly retrieve Laugh ) I can of course remove the stash before putting Shiva back in.

So far I kept a keen eye on Shiva and besides of her appetite, she still runs around the place like mad, climbs anything climbable, destroys furniture with gusto and looks very bright eyed with a good coat. She has mellowed a bit lately and can even be tempted to sit still for a full minute to receive scritches. Smile

We might bring her in for a check up. After all we are quite weary about her health as both her brothers passed away already (PT) so we are very alert to any signs in change of behaviour.

Francois
Deactivated
Deactivated

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum