The Fancy in Ireland

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Fancy in Ireland

Post by DJF on Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:05 am

Since getting my rats, I have developed a keen interest in the fancy. Most of the material available focuses either on the rise, decline and resurrection of the fancy in the UK or on the AFRMA. This little piece of history is fascinating, particularly the figure of Mary Douglas (Nick Mays' series of articles in "Small Furry Pets" paints an interesting picture of this woman).

My question, has there ever been a "real" fancy in Ireland? Or even rudiments of a fancy? I know that pigeon clubs are popular here but rat fancy seems not to be.

My reading of this forum suggests that there is a small group trying to create a fancy here. What is required to create a fancy or even a possibly more simple appreciation society? More ethical breeders, more meetings?

I am simply curious to understand if a fancy ever existed in Ireland, if not, then why and how does one develop such a grouping?

DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Re: The Fancy in Ireland

Post by Zoundz on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:06 am

As far as our research goes, none has ever existed here Sad which is a shame, but not entirely unexpected.

We have been working at trying to set up something solid since 2005 - but it's a hard slog. Not many people are interested, and people come and go. I'm not even sure we could afford to run a show and break even (all we need to do really - but it would be nice to have a kitty for research fund, to pay for people to have tests done if it's widely beneficial).

I think in order for a fancy to work out there needs to be more than one dedicated breeder, and by that I mean someone willing to get good stock from breeders elsewhere in the world (NOT from petshops and feeder breeders in Ireland) - and willing to travel to the UK to shows, also to be very involved in the UK fancy, while the Irish Fancy is still in such infancy. Yes we also need more meetings, but they can only come with more people. We've a pretty active social scene in Cork now, but it's taken time to get this far, and still not enough people for a show. For now we're working on the ground to promote rats as pets. We've been doing expos etc.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by DJF on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:17 am

I am having a good think over what you said. From reading about here, I think that a venue is an issue.

Would you think that country shows would be good venues? I know there are a few in Cork and very many over the country during the Summer months. They are of course outdoors but as a means of exhibiting, they attract many hundreds of people. I spent my youth with my Cob Cara at many of these shows.

It may even be possible to get a discount on a tent. The novelty of rats would go a long way in negotiating!

This is a discussion I would like to continue. How are the expos in Cork received? Are the rats a part of a broader exhibition or is it just the rats?
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by DJF on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:19 am

This might be useful: http://www.irishshows.org/
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:26 am

We normally have a stall that is *just* rats, usually located near enough to other small pets or exotics, but generally they are not well received. The people at Pet Expo have been very good to us, and seem to understand what we're trying to do. I have approached several Cork agri shows before - but the response is one of abject horror and disgust! Roll Eyes Sad

I think ideally what we need is an affordable venue (read that as around €100 or less for a day/half day) somewhere that is easy for most to get to - so Kildare county would be good for example Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:57 am

I for one would love a more active rattie community but it takes people to meet up etc,start up little ssocial scenes like the one we 're getting towards in Cork.I would NOT recommend an agri show of any kind to be honest,i grew up with the people going to them and we would not be welcome,to put it lightly,we wouldnt achieve anything id say but pet/summer shows are the way to go

Back to top Go down

Post by DJF on Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:46 am

"Abject horror and disgust" - that is a shame. I would have at least thought cautious curiosity. It is disappointing that the Agri shows had no interest. They make for fun days out. When you are at the Pet Expos do you bring along your most shouldery of shoulder rats? Do people ever comment on the rats curiosity and intelligence? As a matter of interest, what was the strangest comment/question you got?

Also, do you think that Ireland is at a stage where a more formal rat club with membership benefits, a committee, website, etc would be beneficial? Something perhaps affiliated with the NRFS?
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:29 am

OK, loads of questions.

As far as I'm aware, though I've not asked to be honest, the NRS will not affiliate with is in any meaningful sense because we are not UK. However of course many of the NFRS committee are dear friends of mine, and we've had lots of offers of help, and offers of judges, so that's very positive.

We do have a committee of sorts set up, but it's not set in stone yet - for the first year we sort of have to scratch one together, after that, it naturally goes on member votes. We can't provide a member pack for people at the moment due to funds (we really don't have any, it comes out of our pockets). Of course, having people join up would bring some funds, but there's not much incentive, as there'd be no magazine etc.

We are hoping *and I use this cautiously* to have a show later this year at a Pet Expo event, after Easter I have some phonecalls to make and we'll see what we can do.

At Pet Expo I usually try and take a cage of daft bucks and a cage of pingy does if I can, to show differences. We get a fair few pleasant comments about how interesting and how interested the rats are, but mostly it's screams and silliness. Weirdest comments are undoubtedly the ones asking what species they are... 'are they puppies/cats/birds/guinea pigs/<insert species here>!

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by DJF on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:21 am

Your having contacts for judges is really great! I wonder with some negotiation, if they would grant honorary affiliation or even include the club in its links section. The regional UK rat clubs have great websites and info.

I am massively keen to go to one of these pet expos and also to any shows that are organised.

If the rat club ever decides to go down a formal route with a constitution, committee, website, etc. I would be very keen to get involved. As for something to offer members, such things can always be worked out and membership fees need only be nominal to begin with. As for a magazine, now that's an exciting project!

I am a complete novice with regard to rats but am very enthusiastic. I hate to be the annoying newbie offering suggestions in an area you have probably been slowly and deliberately carving for years. But as for a rat club in Ireland, I for one would like to see one and be part of it!
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:16 pm

No, you're not annoying at all - it's good to have someone with enthusiasm on board! Smile Sure you can get involved more! Grin

You'll have to come down to one of our get-togethers in Cork at some point and chat! Grin

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:49 pm

the only way this will take off is if we get more enthusiastic people Grin we definetly need a few of us to get together

Back to top Go down

Post by Rattie_baus on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:55 am

the only infuriating thing about this is i'm Soo darned far away Sad
i'd love to get more involved... but it would be Such a long way to go for a chat Sad

a show though!?!?!?! count me in- i'm there! Wink
Rattie_baus

Back to top Go down

Post by DJF on Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:38 am

@Zoundz- as an aside, do you know any of the people who run any of the ratterys involved in the Tabi initiative? Based on the info I can pull from the web, it seems like an awesome ambition and brilliant project!
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:15 am

I know all of them I'd say.

In theory it always looks like a nice idea, and I refuse to discuss other people who I know, when they have no right of reply - but it always irked me that it implied that it's not what the rest of us were doing already... :/

There's a bit of an odd vibe from it all if I'm honest. Happy to chat more about these things, but in private. I always recommend that people do their own digging, research and meeting of breeders Smile sometimes websites etc are not quite what goes on behind closed doors, if you get me Smile

Caveat Emptor I say Smile always find out for yourself Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dani. on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:19 pm

Bump.

Just curious to see if this situation has changed since the last posts on this thread.

Dani

dani.

Back to top Go down

Post by eoghan on Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:14 am

Indeed it has. We have a commitee, a verbal constitution consisting of common sense, had our first show in Dec 2013. We have changed the club to the Irish fancy rat association. And we have our quarterly journal. Membership is €10 for the year and for that you get a reduced entry fee to shows and access to the journal

"Never interrupt the enemy when they are making a mistake"

"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip"

Proudly Commanded by
Squeak, Rafiki, Piscin, Raticate, Dizzy Beag, Smoulderin' Cinnabun, Smoked Sassafras, Bree, Shrimp-a-Sioráf, Bella, ButterFlobbles, Poptee, Ping
Evil Oscar Wilde(M), Cú Chulainn(M), Sir Didymus(M)
Previously Commanded By
George, Ghostie, Ralf, Tuffy, Pixie, Willow, Flea, Nibblet, Rose, Tulip, Gypsy, Bluebell, Crimp, Annie,Jiggly Puff of Blue Smoke, Dizzy, Noodles(M) And Smokie(The Supreme Commander)

https://plus.google.com/+EoghanDuggan/
eoghan
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by dani. on Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:08 am

Thank you Smile

dani.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content