Another possible facial abscess

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Another possible facial abscess

Post by katherine on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:21 am

Mawie has a facial swelling with a wound behind the ear that's sort of crusty and yellow (ick) I thought it was a pretty obvious abscess but the vet today found a smaller swelling below and blood coming from his ear and she thinks it could be a tumour. We decided he'd go in tomorrow to go under anaesthetic for her to take a biopsy but she phoned to say he would probably benefit from a course of antibiotics to see if that helps.

He and Ishy have just gone two so it's obviously not great to have him going under anaesthetic at all, though I think it will be necessary... anywho, just having a wee rant.

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Re: Another possible facial abscess

Post by Zoundz on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:59 am

Zymbal's Gland Tumour? Sad if so not a lot of point having anything done, it's inoperable Sad

I'm so sorry hun (((hug)))

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:51 pm

Oh dear, I've had look at the pictures on rat guide and that is what it looks like. Would there be any point in going on with exploratory surgery, do you think?

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:41 am

I wouldn't personally - but it's up to you. Knowing his age, and how his brother reacted to surgery, and how poor prognosis is for a ZGT - I wouldn't bother Sad

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:20 am

My Blanche died due to ZGT. Palliative care was the best I could do. I'm so sorry. It's a horrible evil condition. Sad
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:24 pm

Thanks, Mawie's having the lump aspirated today. Fingers crossed he pulls through Sad

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:10 am

Just spoken to the vet and he's coming round from his anaesthetic now Smile

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:12 am

All the best, let us know how he gets on Smile
xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:46 am

Thanks, I picked him up and he looks very rough - big holes in his face and covered in lice all of a sudden Roll Eyes the vet said the lower lump was a very straight forward abscess but the higher one was connected to the ear canal and bled a lot... so it could potentially be a tumour that has got infected, but she thinks the fact that there were two abscesses close together means it is probably a bite wound that became infected, which would be a relief.

He's in a carrier as a hospital cage atm with some ivermectin on and some septrin for later Smile

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:38 am

I hope that's all it is - but I remain sceptical Sad Fingers crossed I'm wrogn and that he'll be OK. Gentle scritches to the poor lad.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:55 am

Thinking of him,and you Katherine Love im sure the handsome boy will be spoiled *rotten* and we're sending all the postive vibes it turns out to be an abcess that heals quickly and cleanly x

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:57 am

Thanks Grace,

I don't know will I leave him in the hospital cage again tonight or put him back in with Ishy. He seems down on his own but the wound is MASSIVE and I don't want Ishy nibbling at it Roll Eyes or him possibly getting shavings gummed to the blood.... would would the rest if you do?

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:22 am

Keep him alone. Up to you, but I would think it safer.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:23 am

Ok, thanks Smile

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:31 am

Have given in and stuck Ishy in the hospital cage with him as he was raising hell by himself. I'm gonna stick them back in their normal cage tonight Roll Eyes The big lump on Mawie's face does seem to still be there, so it probably still is a tumour Sad I'm taking him in to the vet on Monday so we'll see.

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:46 pm

when they are really upset like that about being on their own,it does more damage not to take a chance and give them a friend i think so hopefully he will perk up a bit now Love

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:49 am

Took Mawie back to the vet and he wants to put him under again and flush his lumpy face out again Sad I'm really not sure about this but I don't want to not do it either..... Confused

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:50 am

Does the vet still think it's not a tumour?

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:47 am

The vet who did the surgery wasn't sure from the sound of it. The vet I saw today is pretty sure it's an abscess.

katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum