4 Petmania Boys

View previous topic View next topic Go down

4 Petmania Boys

Post by Daraxina on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:05 pm

Hi all, I've been looking into rats, their diet, their lifespan, their curiosity, their intelligence, for the past few weeks and really have taken a fancy to them.
I rang Petmania Galway asking about rats and if they had any to handle, (I didn't want to buy and then realise they weren't for me.) They said they normally don't stock rats as it's preferable to buy from breeders (Very good of them to say!) but that the one rat they had was pregnant (that was brought in with the daddy) she had a litter of 10, they have rehomed all but the father and three boys.
I've been going in everyday for the past two days to handle them and get them used to human interaction - and me used to handling rats too! - but was wondering if anyone here wanted to rehome - free to a good home I am told! - these four lads?

Sorry for the long winded post and thanks for reading.

Daraxina

Back to top Go down

Re: 4 Petmania Boys

Post by Zoundz on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:35 pm

Out of curiosity, why don't you want to take them? Grin

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your quest for rats! Grin It is good of Petmania to advise a good breeder - but rescues (raised from birth) can be just as good for a novice - and I happen to know there'll be an accidental litter coming up for homing in a few weeks Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Daraxina on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:38 pm

I live in a rented apartment, the landlady has said she isn't keen, but hasn't said no, she instead said if it was ok with my flatmates then it's all good. Smile
Unfortunately one flatmate is outright hostile and is thankfully moving away in one week - so I've already asked his replacement and all have been ok (provided they stay in my room only.)

They are Dumbo Rats, I think crossed with Rex as the father is smooth and white/tan and the teenagers are brown and Rex-like fur.
The father is apparently 20 weeks old (?) and the teens are 12 weeks (?)

I was considering raising from birth for easier bonding and was actually going to email you, Zoundz! I was looking at your website as one of the main breeders.
I put them up on here when I figured someone with more experience in older males would want to adopt instead?

I'd love to come see your accidental litter, what breed are they?

Oh, and thank you for the reply and the welcome! Smile

Daraxina

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:32 am

When you say raise from birth, what do you mean? They should never leave their breeder/home until 6 weeks. 20 weeks nad 12 weeks are not too bad actually, I would be happy enough with those myself, especially if they are handleable.

Because there are no breeds in rats, we can't have crosses either, so if they look rex coated they probably are rex, and if their ears are on the side then they are dumbo. Dad is a standard coat by the sounds of it, which means mum must have been a rex.

Are these a litter they got in from a member of the public? Or are they stock they're selling? If they are stock they're selling then I advise no-one to buy them, as it's supporting the petshop trade.

The accidental litter isn't mine, it's another member on here, who I am sure will post about it in due course, there are a good few babies though, so I'm sure there'd be some available, if she was happy with homing them Smile I don't know what varieties they are yet as they're only just born Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Daraxina on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:22 am

Oh, no, I meant after they were weaned!
I should have typed "As soon as possible after birth", I have experience with Puppies and Kittens myself so I wouldn't dream about separating mother and child too soon. Smile
They said they were a "rehome" and that the female had a surprise litter, don't know if the father was theirs or the old owners didn't realise the sexes until too late?
I also haven't asked if the wood chippings on the floor of their cage are pine or cedar...so I have to ask that just in case, as I don't have enough experience to help a rat with respiratory problems straight off the bat. Sad

Finally, I would prefer to go with a breeder, and after weaning, Smile , but it's just these four little guys look so bored, they have nothing to chew on but their hammock, and a wheel that has too many chippings underneath it to spin. :/
Am I being too big a softie, am I rushing into getting rats before I'm really ready just because I want them to be happy? I'm torn between wanting a bright, curious, tiny rat youngling (male) and a brother for him to play with...or "rescuing" these two (There are four but I can only house two.) and hoping for the best in both their health and mental well being after being in that glass tank.
Sad
What would be your honest opinion?

I have rechecked with the flatmate and the "other" flatmate's soon-to-be replacement and they are looking forward to seeing the rats, but obviously I still have to wait a week for the guy to move out and for me to set up a nice stimulating cage for the rats the day before I go to get them.

Daraxina

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:19 pm

It really is up to you Smile only you can make that decision. I usually advise people to go to a good breeder if they can, especailly if it's their first rats, because a good breeder will help you out and always be there to answer questions, for the whole lives of the rats, and will take the rats back if there are any problems and you can't keep them.

Unfortunately, there's only one breeder in Ireland that fits this bill - most breed for pet shops, snake food, or free-ads, from petshop rats and unsuitable rats with no decent lineage. Most breeders don't have a clue what they are doing, or have any goals Sad

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Daraxina on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:23 pm

I think I will rescue father and son. I'll also try and handle the two brothers in the opposite cage next time I go in.
They are Free to a Good Home.
I will make sure to ask the questions about what bedding they are currently on, double-check what sexes are they, (pretty easy on the males!), ask about health issues, find out again how they actually got there just in case I was fed a line...then buy the cage I'm looking at.
I need to check the sizes and then put it into the ratty calculator, but it's four times the size they are in now, so I'm going with that. Smile

I'll also like the Facebook page and rely on the help of rattle lovers to help me through owning my first rats...or being owned by them? Hmm...

Thanks for your help and replies, Zoundz. Smile

Daraxina

Back to top Go down

Post by Daraxina on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:26 pm

Seriously? Rattle lover? Darn you, Auto-correct!
Rattie. Rattie. Rattie. Get used to it, Phone! Tongue

Daraxina

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:14 pm

Oh and don't be worrying about woodshavings, there's al ot of misinformation on the net, they are pretty much always fine for rats as long as they're decent chunky shavings and not sawdust. Besides, they don't cause respiratory trouble - there was *one* rather spurious study done a long time ago which said that certain oils in certain types of wood caused liver damage.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Daraxina on Sun May 26, 2013 8:00 pm

I have to stop going into pet shops. I've been going in to the different Galway pet shops to see the rats, handle them, to see the difference in attitude between the males and females...(I'm leaning more toward getting males.)
Yesterday I saw the other pet shop I had gone to has sold all but one of their rats...so there's one poor female on her lonesome.
I'm resolved to not buy from a pet store, but it isn't half hard on the poor heart! :'(

Daraxina

Back to top Go down

Post by Daraxina on Sun May 26, 2013 8:03 pm

Oh, by the way, I went back the same week as my last post to get the father and son only to discover they had sold the father. Sad
I was going to rescue the other 3 but the other two didnt have the same nice reaction to me that the Father did. :/

Daraxina

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sun May 26, 2013 10:06 pm

I think you're doing the right thing not buying from pet shops - if you do, they only replace them, it's not rescuing because it lines their pockets and they get more in to replace the ones you took Sad

I know how hard it is though, believe me... it's really very hard to walk away from those faces :*(

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by siofradh on Mon May 27, 2013 2:15 am

Daraxina wrote:Oh, by the way, I went back the same week as my last post to get the father and son only to discover they had sold the father. Sad
I was going to rescue the other 3 but the other two didnt have the same nice reaction to me that the Father did. :/
I have 2 boys looking for a home at the minute, one is neutered. That might help you not buy more? Wink It's extremely hard not to buy from petstores, believe me I know, but you just need to keep thinking of the big picture. But just keep thinking of what you're supporting, and all of the rats that are suffering in the mills, and that you're contributing to that. https://www.facebook.com/BeasRatRescue?ref=hl Here is the facebook page for the rescue I run.
siofradh
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Daraxina on Tue May 28, 2013 4:39 am

Thanks Siofradh. Smile
Very good page, I don't think I can home any rats this month, even though Mario and Luigi are gorgeous.
I'll like your page though so that I have a heads up when I'm ready! Smile

Daraxina

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum