Done with fleece....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Done with fleece....

Post by DJF on Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:08 am

So, I am officially done with fleece bedding! With five girls, it barely lasts three days before it pongs. Not good for my living room, for my relationship Wink and not good for the girls either!

I have previously used carefresh and hated it. Everyone sneezed (even me). Shavings made Constance's eyes run and she sneezed a lot. The others were grand. I liked hemp but with the Critter Nation having not very deep pans, I am sure it will be all over the living room.

I am thinking card. Anyone know where I would get finacard or ectobed ( ?) or there equivalents in or around Dublin?

I am also thinking 100% paper cat litter pellets. Are these good? Too harsh on the feet? What brands would you recommend and where do purchase them? I use an all natural 'silica' litter for the litter boxes (three litter boxes - five girls poo poo poo, but thankfully not everywhere). It is expensive but they love pooing it!
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Re: Done with fleece....

Post by Zoundz on Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:10 am

Personally I don't use any paper/card based bedding any more, it's got its own fair share of issues. I use shavings, very happily. Have you thought about having no substrate? I knowof some people who've done this, and just wiped the solid areas of the cage every day. Just a thought.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by DJF on Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:25 am

I liked shavings. But one of the girls is a rather sickly one (another reason not to go to pet shops). She gets quite raspy and runny eyes. She just finished a course of Baytril and did well on fleece with shredded newspaper for digging in. I am conscious of her comfort as she is grumpy at the best of times but a right witch when under the weather. But yep, the other rats loved the shavings (and great for odour).

I contemplated just bare shelves but I am worried about bumblefoot. Plastic gets rather yuck rather quickly and it sometimes takes a lot of vinegar to freshen them as it stands. The CN shelves have a grain of sorts which just traps pee!

Fleece also deprived them of much digging (digging boxes are not really the same) and made scatter feeding pointless. A bit of a quandary. Maybe bare shelves with a huge digging box full with hemp. I could use the base of the other cage as a digging box (70 x 50 x 10cm). Hmmmm....
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:05 am

Hemp is a good alternative,if you dont want shavings.I used it for aaages but It.Gets.Everywhere. Roll Eyes With respy issues,personally i wouldnt use card or paper-i think its quite dusty at times.Have you tried dust extracted shavings?Ive found them very good,only a small bit of dust in the very bottom of the bag.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum