Damn Resp Infections!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Damn Resp Infections!

Post by DJF on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:41 am

So, Constance finished her course of Baytril a few weeks ago and is thriving. Baby Monica who is now ~3 months old, finished a course of amoxicillin at the same time but two days ago started to deteriorate. She hasn't been thriving despite feeding her a rich diet (about half the size of her sister). Just back from the vet and she is now on a course of Baytril for the next week. Her breathing is terribly raspy. I have been bringing her into a steamy bathroom to help open her airways. As for her diet, she gets the usual mix with daily veg like the others. I have also been feeding her fresh herbs, soy porridge, scrambled egg, baby food, fish and a multi vitamin supplement. Anyone have any suggestions for foodstuffs to help rats put on condition quickly? I have ordered Nutri-Cal from the UK and this should arrive next week. I am very worried as just when she was starting to fill out, the Resp issues came back and she is visibly loosing condition. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Gone Fishing: Maud, Constance, Peig, Hillary

"As the Amazing Maurice said, it was just a story about people and rats. And the difficult part of it was deciding who the people were, and who were the rats."
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Re: Damn Resp Infections!

Post by Tribble on Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:03 am

Aounds recommended a mix of canary egg seed and readybrek powder made into a soft mash for our guys when they just got back to ours as kittens. About a tablespoon to the pair of em, they loved it, but I can't be certain if that is any good for your lady, or even if it could be detrimental to her condition as it may be too high in calories and put her off her normal food. Nuts and seeds are likely a good idea, as most rats adore em, and they're high in polyunsaturates and protein.

Tribble

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:19 am

the only problem with what Tribble outlined is the possibility that it may be too high in protein. To be honest, I don't let that worry me - egg is good, as is tinned fish, chicken (especially the jelly from roasting and letting go cold, and also the skin and the fat under it). Avocado is good (but some rats hate it) - if you're really worried about weight, human weigh gain foods can help - ie. Complan.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by DJF on Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:38 am

Thanks for that guys. She tucked into a feast of scrambled egg, bits of tuna and some peas topped with Dr. Squigles earlier. It was the most she ate in two days. It was a relief to see her eat like that. She is on my lap as I type, trying to nibble my iPad.

After a couple of sessions in a steamed up bathroom, the rasping has stopped for now. My goodness, it was very loud just prior to her vet visit. As she is so young and with a poor start in life as well as being a picky eater, I really just want to give her the best shot. Her sister is a total gourmand and is about 60g heavier than her. Monica was always runt like and I suspect she will never be big - but at the moment, she is not a healthy weight for a growing girl. I took her sister along with me to the vet to illustrate the differences and I suppose to show that I do feed them well. Monica is near 12 weeks old now but looks about 7 or 8 weeks. Fingers crossed.

I purchased some Dr. Rat Gloop, Baby Weight Gain and Nutri-Cal from ratwarehouse.com. Hopefully that will help when it arrives. Until then, it's Baytril, high calorie/protein foods, green tea with honey (caffeine is a mild bronchodilator), herbs, garlic and kale. This little girl has me broke and worried but I am hopeful all will work out well.

"As the Amazing Maurice said, it was just a story about people and rats. And the difficult part of it was deciding who the people were, and who were the rats."
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by DJF on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:22 am

Thanks for the input guys. Others experience is far more reassuring than any article.

On a good note, Monica is doing and eating well. Her breathing is mostly quiet with the odd rasp and whistle when she wakes. She will be on Baytril for another 5 days. She is easy to medicate, being a rather passive girl. I couldn't resist and had a little taste of Baytril. It is disgusting. It tastes like stuff you put on toddlers finger nails to stop them biting them.

DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by DJF on Thu May 09, 2013 10:14 am

Thankfully, baby Monica has seemingly recovered from her Resp infection. Project fatten her up is still ongoing. She didn't take to the Nutri-Cal immediately but when I smoothered a few meal worms in it, she took to it enthusiastically! She is now sucking it from the tube as if its going out of fashion.

I will post a few pics of her soon. She is quite the sweet little thing. Very docile and licky!

DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tribble on Thu May 09, 2013 12:23 pm

Awww Love
That's brilliant to hear. I wasn't any help really, save all your thanks for Zoundz.
Please post some pics of the little babby asap Smile

Tribble

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Thu May 09, 2013 9:17 pm

Awww - wonderful to hear it! Grin

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down