Crickets

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Crickets

Post by DJF on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:41 am

I like to give the girls new things to try, especially if I can make them forage for them.

As an infrequent treat, I give them a few meal worms (live) and they love them. The digging box contents go flying everywhere as they root them out.

I saw crickets in the herp section of the pet shop the other day and thought the girls would love the thrill of the hunt.

Are they safe? I guess high in fat and protein so in small amounts.

Gone Fishing: Maud, Constance, Peig, Hillary

"As the Amazing Maurice said, it was just a story about people and rats. And the difficult part of it was deciding who the people were, and who were the rats."
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Re: Crickets

Post by Zoundz on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:32 am

I think they should be safe - I recently bought ab ox of mixed dried insects for my lot - mostly mealworms, but a few crickets etc - should be fun to see what they think! Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by limerickrats on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:26 pm

I often gave my girls a dried mealworm, but I'd chicken out on feeding live... Had to look after someone's tarantula once and giving the spider a live cricket each day just felt... Gruesome. Lips Sealed 
limerickrats

Back to top Go down

Post by DJF on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:27 am

The crickets come in boxes with over 20 crickets which is a bit much and they are noisey! I asked for a just a handful to try it out and yep, they went crazy hunting them down. Think rat and feather wand but with more gusto. Although, Constance looked obviously bewildered and didn't quite now how to manage it.

I doubt I will be having them regularly as there are just too many in a box but occasionally, if I can get a handful now and then from the shops own feeding stock - it would be great. It is fun to watch them hunt!

"As the Amazing Maurice said, it was just a story about people and rats. And the difficult part of it was deciding who the people were, and who were the rats."
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:57 pm

Grin I must try this one day if i have the chance!

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by soulphish on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:22 am

How did you do it? In the cage? Or free range? Because I wouldn't want the crickets getting loose around my house! Haha!

My girls LOVE mealworms!  Love We only give the dry ones. But as a treat, its great! And we bury them in sand or bark (which goes everywhere too). Haven't tried live mealworms yet, but I want to see what they do!
soulphish

Back to top Go down

Post by soulphish on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:23 am

I just realized how behind I am on this post! 6 months behind! Haha  Roll Eyes 

Did anyone else try it? I'd love more info.
soulphish

Back to top Go down

Post by DJF on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:00 am

A large cardboard box, a fistful of crickets and a pile of rats! They are quick to hunt. Think feather wand chasing times 10 - that's how enthusiastic they were! I haven't done it since then mostly because it is difficult to get small amounts of crickets.

Mine get live mealworms as an occasional treat. They love them. They even make sucky slurpy noises when devouring them.

DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum