I'm back, with a questionnaire!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I'm back, with a questionnaire!

Post by katherine on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:54 am

Hi all! I've been away for a little while now Embarrassed a lot of things got on top of me and I must admit I had a little setback on the rattie side of life when Mawie died.. one of those rats you don't know how much they mean to you til they're gone Sad 

I'm emerging from everything now, as it were, and hopefully will be back on here regularly again.

Thought I'd make a questionnaire to help people who are considering getting rats or have just got rats - just a silly thing, as I know we've got these for all the serious important stuff already.

I'll go first and people can join in if they wish.

1) What sort of reaction do you get when you first tell people you have/ want rats?
Either people say "oh cool, I love rats" or they say "RATS???!"

2) What is your no. 1 rat keeping accessory that's not sold specifically for pet rats?
soft bendy garden wire, my no 2. is jumbo paperclips

3) What about stuff that is is sold for pet rats - Any essential accessories?
Obviously this depends very much on what people think of as essential, but going by an accessory being something the animals don't need, my boys seem to love the jumbo hammocks that go right across the cage, they rip holes in the lining and stuff bedding in between the fabric layers Laugh 

4) Where is your favourite place to shop for rat things?
Rat warehouse, though I'm a sucker for fuzzbutt beds

5) Do you have a health tip you swear by?
Nope I just feed them something tasty when they're ill, baby food from a squeezy bag goes down a treat

6) Do you have any money saving tips?
I've discovered that buying bedding that's marketed for horses instead of small mammals saves a fortune on what is the same thing, also mixing cereal through their rat food makes it go further and provides variety too, which they love

7) What is your rats' favourite toy (home made or bought)?
toilet roll tubes stuffed with food and boxes!

8) Can your rats do any tricks?
Stuffing their faces for my amusement can count Laugh  I tried to teach Thornton to twirl but instead of follwong my hand round he waited for the treat to come back full circle in front of his face. They do know how to run out onto my knee for a treat though

9) Boys, girls, or both?
I've only had one girl and am happy with boys, except for when I see Grace's girls and get jealous, one day I might decide to have both

10) Have you made friends through your rats? If so, how did you meet?
I've made som of my best friends through my rats, through here first and then from meeting Laura to apply for and buy rats and through social meet ups. I've also met some lovely people at shows

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm back, with a questionnaire!

Post by Zoundz on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:48 am

Brilliant thread! Grin

1) What sort of reaction do you get when you first tell people you have/ want rats?
I get a look of disbelief - and even more so when I say how many I have and that I breed them and show them. Mostly is barely disguised horror - but some people are really interested! Smile

2) What is your no. 1 rat keeping accessory that's not sold specifically for pet rats?
Shower Curtain Rings (hammock rings Wink ) and garden wire too! Smile Also, boxes and paper bags <3

Hammocks Smile Though I make my own and use old charity shop clothes. Erm, I think my Ferplast corner ledges are absolutely essential to my mental health! XD Wooden shelves are a no no for me!

Mostly charity shops etc, there's not much I need I can't get there, but Sarah's Rat Accessories do awesome stuff, and Ratwarehouse Smile

The NFRS handbook. Cannot - and I mean ABSOLUTELY CANNOT live without it! Smile

Same as Katherine said, and also not worrying too much about fancy and costly hammocks - they are nice to have, but alternate them with old pillowcases, towels, fleeces etc Smile Also - bags and boxes make great disposable igloos - and so much easier to clean Wink in that you don't need to!

Mini boxes, like paracetamol boxes, stuffed with bedding and treats for them to pick out. The inner shell from kinder eggs too - also with treats shut inside so they have to gnaw in. Kabobs, with lots of different bits attached for them to chew. They like baby toys as well, which they will mess with for ages! Smile Egg boxes filled with bedding and treats and sealed shut with cable ties or sellotape.

No. Lazy beasts. Wink I don't train them at the moment, I may start at some stage Smile

9) Boys, girls, or both?
Both, can't imagine being without either.

*Many*. I have probably made around 100 friends through rats, and several very very close, enduring friends who I love to bits <3

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by DJF on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:06 am

Silence, puckered lips, 'Ewww'

Cable ties, shower curtain rings, binder clips

Hammocks, definately, a sputnik

Zooplus, rat warehouse

'Raw' honey, plenty fresh herbs, dried echinacea

Oh, I tend to spend more than I should. Not the most financially savy but home shredding paper for bedding - no dust, easy to change regularly and they love it!

Kabobs, a little ball hay rack thing for stuffing big greens like kale, spinach, herbs into, the mini kong and the recent brain train interactive toy I bought them (http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/intelligence_games/151988)

Neceessary things like their names, to come, up on hand, shoulder as well as climbing from the ground up my body onto my shoulder, to follow my finger as a target, open tubberware boxes, stand, walk on two legs and twirl - they love clicker training!

9) Boys, girls, or both?
I only have girls, never had a boy - girls are great fun even if they border on cuckoo!

Just people on forums - I haven't actually met anyone yet.

Gone Fishing: Maud, Constance, Peig, Hillary

"As the Amazing Maurice said, it was just a story about people and rats. And the difficult part of it was deciding who the people were, and who were the rats."
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum