so how many pets do you have?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

so how many pets do you have?

Post by redrach on Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:51 pm

I just thought it would be interesting to know what everyone has (: and therefore who can talk about their experiences with what animals.
Also, it would be interesting to know what animals people would like to have (say 5 maximum to stop it getting out of hand)

I grew up with cats my whole life, 'my' two girls live at my mum's though, she refuses to part with them ):
8 ratties, 4 male, 4 female.
16 fish- 4 rainbows, 6 ottos, 6 croaking gourmis (I don't know the full names for the ottos and rainbows- the fish are all the OHs)
and 4 assassin snails (although we think there may be 5 now).

I'd love
- a st bernard (MUCH bigger house needed, among other things)
- a greyhound (need to be more financially stable first)
- a giant african land snail.
- 2 cats (also need a much bigger house & more time)
- a hedgehog.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Re: so how many pets do you have?

Post by Catz on Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:11 am

Oh good thread!
Right now I have 1 German Shepherd Rio (female, year and a half old), 1 ferret (female) Toki, 3 winter white dwarf hamsters Rhino, Lou and Sixx (male) and the ratties. Our rat group is made up of 2 girls and 5 males.

I have always been around dogs. My family were involved in showing and sports at different stages in my life. We usually had large breed dogs (St. Bernards, Shepherds, Rotties, Mastiffs, Great Danes etc.) but we also had some terriers and gun dogs. I am very comfortable in multiple dog homes but I like to keep my numbers at 2 so I can possibly work them in different sports with plenty of time for both.
I am training in Shutzhund with Rio and starting agility. I have done heelwork to music and flyball for a short time in the past. My dream is to be a professional trainer (fingers crossed)

I want a Newfoundland. We have agreed that a newfie will be the next dog we add to our family and I would like to train in water rescue with our future pup but we have decided to wait till next year to get one. The wait is killing me!
I also want a parrot and more ferrets! Smile
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:44 am

Great thread! Will add when I have time! Big Grin

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:40 am

Well... I currently have 2 dogs - one of which is a Shiba Inu so like a different species! LOL! I also have my rats and 4 mice. In the past I've owned hamsters, fish, horses, cattle, sheep, cats, chinchillas, rabbits, guinea pigs... I've looked after other species too Smile Never been without dogs either Grin

Would have Virginia Oppossums, more dogs (LOTS), horses again, other rodent species probably Smile Oh and a cat!

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by katherine on Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:07 am

Good thread Grin very interesting to see what people have (you're all making me jealous Tongue)

I have 6 rats at the moment, 5 boys, and a new girl; a mouse, Tybalt; 2 cats, Suzy and Esme and, like Rach, I have a cat who doesn't live with me (Sweep), because he's too old and settled, but he definitely is mine because I pay for all his food and emergency vet stuff (not much of that, thank God).

In the future I'd love to own a dog, specifically I'm very fond of Irish wolf hounds and deerhounds, so my one bedroom flat is sadly less than appropriate Laugh My absolute dream is to have a border collie but I don't see that happening tbh I'm far too lazy. I'd also love to have a ferret or 2 (or a polecat) one day. I can't see myself being without cats or rats and I would definitely like to continue to keep mice - I'd like for Tybalt to have a friend but am far too petrified of them killing each other Sad

Ex Rats: Reggie  Cinnamon Algy Russian Blue Theo Agouti Monty British Blue,On Loan from Bongo Fury: Forz Russian Blue and Switch Silver/Black Bertie Champagne and Maddi Chocolate, Septimus Cinnamon Mawie Silver/Black Ishmael Blazed/Badger/Roan, Isambard Silver/Black,
katherine

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:41 am

Glad you're all enjoying this (:
All interesting!
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:43 am

Ooh good post!
Currently have my 8 ratties(cant and dont want to imagine life without seeing those gorgeous faces at the cage bars when i come in the door Love ,grew up always having a dog in the house Lady,Lulu and Sandy),we also had a very angry canary called ruby Laugh and very tame,friendly chickens my favourite of which was a little black bantam called Minnie who had lived to be at least 10 years of age and had loads of personality Cool ive actually got a video somewhere of her wandering into the house,and bobbing her head to Metallica playing in the background Laugh
I definatly want dogs,i do have breeds that i have a particular affinity for,Collies,Greyhounds,Wolfhounds,German Shepards...but some of my favourite dogs have been mongrels,its really the personality that matters
Ferrets Smile
Donkeys
Parrots,but still feel a bit Meh about caged birds so would have to have a lot more space or money for a humoungus cage
Cats
Its really hard to pick 5 but i think those are my top 5 of future pets (to have alongside my rattie clann obv)

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:37 am

I think I could just have dogs to be honest (other than rats) - but there are so many I want... Embarrassed most importantly more Shibas, an Akita Inu, a Bracco Italiano, a Mastiff, an Irish Wolfhound... to be honest... any and all other breeds... Grin

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Catz on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:32 am

I agree.. I would fill my house with dogs if given the chance.. After the newfie I really want a Scottish Terrier crossed Cairn Terrier like my old dog Biggy. He was so sweet, smart and easy to train Id love another one but Id be afraid the pup would remind me of Biggy to much.. maybe in a few years.
A friend of mine had a Wolfhound a few years ago, as a pup he was a wreaking ball with flailing legs but he matured really quickly.. I miss him Love
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by redrach on Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:59 am

Oh I don't think I could cope with more than 1 or 2 dogs. I used to be terrified of them, it was only when Luke & I got together (3.5 years ago) that I started being around dogs & not being scared. His mum and dad (separate) both have dogs so i've just had to get used to it. I'd love one or two, but i'm very particular about how they'd have to be trained because it still scares me if they jump up on me.
redrach
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizzo on Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:22 am

Great thread!
Well....... I own my two male rats (Gary and Blue) and I my other half has a female rat (cleo).
We also have a scottish terrier pup who's only 5 months old and absolutely mental (zack),
In the past I owned many hamsters, a hooded Male rat (bernard), several springer spaniels, a Border collie, and a westie and unfortunately up until 2 o'clock today a collie-x- shitzu (lucy) who diagnosed witlh leuchemia and was given days to live a couple months ago and hung on in there for a while longer but it was for the best that she was put to rest as in her last couple of days she had been quite poorly but she lived a good 16 years, we adopted her 4 years ago as we found her cowering on the side of the road on a cold wet windy winter night so she lived a good last few years with us.

I would love a Siberian Husky but Really need to get my own place first Smile.
Rizzo

Back to top Go down

Post by Catz on Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:33 am

Sorry to hear about lucy Sad poor girl.
Just wondering Rizzo, you said your other half has 1 female rat Cleo, it isn't good to have a single rat as they need same sex company to thrive. You might already know that but just in case Wink
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:52 am

Rachel knows that Smile sadly Cleo's cagemate very recently passed away and Cleo's a bit on the older side now Sad

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Catz on Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:06 am

My apologies Sad Poor cleo..
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rizzo on Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:30 am

Catz wrote:My apologies Sad Poor cleo..

Poor Cleo. Iwashed her two days ago and found that she has lumps (Purple lumps) on her tummy. She's nearly 3 years old and Suki's been gone a few months now but my other half doesn't want to put a young Doe in with her as it might make her ubcomfortable. She's still as sweet as the day we adopted her from her previous owners
Rizzo

Back to top Go down

Post by Abdou on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:17 am

Great thread :-)

We have.............

5 ratties......Milly, Lucky, Bondi, Bindi and Alexa....

4 fish tanks...!

4 cats....

2 children... Ok, they're not animals obviously...but they fit into the whole picture if you get me Smile Smile

1 dog....

And a partridge in a pear tree..... Laugh Laugh (thats a joke....but it does feel a bit like a zoo sometimes!!)

I would love love love love a greyhound or a lurcher...but our dog is a grumpy soul so wouldn't put him with another dog...rather we wait!!!

Thats our zoo.........I mean house!!!

Abdou

Back to top Go down

My pets

Post by GillianK on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:42 am

I have too many pets!

I have an Irish Sport horse mare, Sorcha, training her for dressage atm, and in the future show jumping.

I have 5 dogs, 4 of which are Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (I show, and am a registered CKCS breeder, breeding very occasionally for health, trying to breed out defects such as MVD and SM, episodic falling) My 5th dog is a neutered Jack Russell Terrier who I do obedience and agility with.

My husband has 2 cats, who I have very little to do with! :-)

I have 2 little Bengalese finches who seem to be living forever, had them 7 years (was told they'd only live 2-4 years when I bought them!)

I have my 4 little rodents, 2 rats and 2 robo hamsters, and I have a lovely fish tank with coldwater fish.

So yes! Lots of fun! I have all the animals I want! Not taking on any more! :-)
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:04 am

Ooooh... my grandmother used to breed CKCS years and years ago (stopped in about 1989/1990 IIRC). I've long been interested and involved in canine circles. Hoping one day to work on Japanese Shiba Inu, and would love to do some stewarding at shows, and maybe one day even judge, who knows?! Smile Always love chatting dogs, and maybe one day we'll be at a show together! Grin

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:47 am

Japanese Shiba Inu, absolutely gorgeous! Yes I've been showing Cavaliers for almost 14 years now. My first Cavalier was mismarked but we enjoyed junior handling competitions until I got the knack for it, and went on to buy Cavvys with potential.

I have particularly gorgeous ruby bitch who's doing really well at atm and planning on taking her to some of the southern Ireland shows in the summer time all being well. :-)

I love Cavaliers, but sadly they are one of the most unhealthy breeds. I have an excellent stud, 5 years old and no heart murmur, no medical problems, very rare in a Cavalier, and 2 good bitches with real promise. Here's pics of my last litter - My affix is Conlaodh.

http://i47.servimg.com/u/f47/17/17/14/81/dsc_0010.jpg

http://i47.servimg.com/u/f47/17/17/14/81/pups10.jpg

http://i47.servimg.com/u/f47/17/17/14/81/dsc_0011.jpg

GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:04 am

Oh beautiful! Grin thank you for sharing! They really are lovely, and make me all nostalgic! We always had cavvies around when I was a kid. My grans lot were very healthy beasts, most making it easily to 14/15 with no health trouble. It's not a breed I've followed much since I was a tiny kid - are these health issues a relatively recent development?

Yes, Shibas have stolen my heart. I have one old lady at the moment (I say old - she doesn't look it or act it at all - and I suppose it's not really - but the vet classes her as a senior at the age of 8 and a half!). I'm hoping in the next 2 years to try and introduce a young lad for showing <3 Smile

I have some rather old photos of our CKCS from the 80s Smile

My old girl Daisy, who I had when I was born - she was about 13/14 in this pic:

Random pup <3

Dot:

Daisy again I believe:

A few in the run outside Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:25 am

Aw those photos are precious! Some really lovely marked Cavvys too!

Yes, Cavaliers used to be healthy. Back in the 70s-80s when they weren't popular (and therefore weren't overbred) they lived till 12-14, which they should. But due to increased popularity and therefore overbreeding, inbreeding etc, and breeders choosing adults from a small gene pool, and using studs (who were correct in conformation but suffering from or carrying fatal hereditory diseases) ALL Cavaliers will suffer from Mitral Valve Disease, as it is polygenic. New horrific diseases are appearing too including SM, and now Episodic Collapse which one of my girls is affected by. Here's a clip of my ruby Dara as a puppy, showing MILD symptoms of EF. The breed is in a terrible state and it's very sad.

But Dara's DNA has helped in a study to identify the gene which causes EF and hopefully there will be a simple test to identify if the dog is a carrier before it is bred. Of course like everything else, this depends on the breeder actually caring about the welfare of the pups and the future of the breed ... :-(

This is why I chose to breed, having lost my first Cavalier to heart failure. But my stud is healthy and this is very rare, and I have 2 healthy bitches (obviously Dara, in the clip will never be bred)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3azxrykoNQ

GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:27 am

Fantastic - if only there were more breeders like yourself Smile this is the main reason I hated that wretched programme on BBC by that rotten, awful, vile woman! Wink I'm sure you know who and what I mean! It totally failed to recognise just how hard some breeders are working to improve the species and the breed... it just made out that every person who breeds dogs is out to hurt them. Evil Evil Evil

Anyway - rant over! I digress massively! Well done you - major pats on the back!

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:35 am

Pedigree Dogs Exposed. Know exactly which woman you're talking about ... and yep because of people like her all breeders are tarred with the same brush. :-( You too! I hope to maybe own some of your babies in the future, as now I've kept rats, I can't see my future without them! I just hope things go well with my Blanche tonight and I hold on to her at least for another year or so, I am very attached to her, she's my baby.
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:41 am

All the very best for Blanche - and if you need any more advice, please just shout! Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Catz on Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:49 am

I know the show you were talkin about laura.. very very sad to watch. I hate looking at the GSD clips (frog or dog) on youtube. One of the reasons I dont go for GSD's with the severely sloped back. There are so many breeds that are being ruined in recent years but Cavi's are in the top 5.
Well done to you Gillian for fighting against all these new illnesses and working hard to improve your breed. The poor little puppy in the video broke my heart..
You'll have to tell us when the next show you'll be in is coming up so we can show our support Smile
Catz
Mentor
Mentor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum