Hello fellow rat owners!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello fellow rat owners!

Post by Maiya-Lennie on Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:54 am

Hello everybody,

I have just joined The Rat Club, and look forward to meeting other rat owners! I have only had my two girls for about 10 days, but they seem to be settling in quite well. They are both Russian Silvers (sisters) British Blue British Blue Maiya loves to explore, she lives for the opening of the cage! - She loves to cover every part of my bedroom, leaving nothing unseen to! Whereas Lennie lives for food... food food and, guess what... more food... it's all she thinks about! If she's not eating, she's sleeping!

I have a great admiration for them both already Laugh And I enjoy watching them play... However, they really are quite timid of me... some days more than others... once I have them in my hands, they are content, but GETTING them to allow me to pick them up is near to impossible! Does anyone have any tips?

Look forward to hearing from you folks Smile

Holly

Maiya-Lennie

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello fellow rat owners!

Post by Zoundz on Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:12 am

Hi Holly Smile

With petshop rats it can be hard to get them used to handing, being firm and confident is the very best way, though it's not that easy when you're not sure exactly what you should be doing. To this end, we always invite people to see us and our rats and the way we do things, in case it is of some help. We're in West Cork, if you ever fancy a visit Smile

Meanwhile, I would just keep handling, keep getting them used to your hands and to being held, even if not picked up, and slowly start by trying to hold them around the body - even while you're handling, and eventually you can extend this to how you pick them up Smile they are very robust, so grabbing them around the middle is perfectly acceptable Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by smokierat on Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:41 am

Welcome to the forum Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post by Videli on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:49 pm

Hello Holly,

welcome to the forum!

My old girls were not very happy about beeing picked up when I got them at the age of 6 weeks old, but that changed quickly as they got used to it. Good luck with yours Grin
Videli

Back to top Go down

Post by GillianK on Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:28 am

Welcome to the forum! x
GillianK
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content