Making an older rat comfortable?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Making an older rat comfortable?

Post by effa on Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:31 pm

A few weeks ago one of my rats was pts Sad leaving me with just one male who is is 3 years old and has limited use of of his hindlegs (is on metacam.)

I do not like him living by himself and although i do speak to him handle and groom him several times a day im not sure if it is enough.
Would it be too stressful for him to be introduced to another older rat?

In the past two weeks his legs got worst and he was no longer able to climb the ladders in the cages , reach the water bottles(the cage was quite deep so they were quite high) or get into his bed (it was raised). We brought him a smaller "granny flat" plastic cage that he can reach the bottle from and he seems happier in since we moved him in this evening.
I help him groom himself with a tooth brush and rub him with a damp towel is there a better way to help?

He has been eating less of his normal food but his appetite has gotten better since ive been feeding him baby food ,complan and avacado. Any other tasty ideas for him??

I would be really grateful for any tips about how to care for him as best I can.
even with his problems hes a spunky loving little thing.

effa

Back to top Go down

Re: Making an older rat comfortable?

Post by Zoundz on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:28 pm

it sounds like you are doing all I would do anyway Smile except the metacam - why do you have him on that? It can be damaging to the kidneys long term, and hind limb degeneration (which is a pretty usual thing in older rats, especially boys) is often associated with kidney trouble too - so I would stop using metacam, because HLD wouldn't be causing pain anyway. And try where possible to avoid high protein food, because these also can make kidney trouble worse.

There is a good kidney friendly diet you could switch to, this can often really help rats get a new lease of life.

Basically though, what you're doing sounds good Smile Welcome to the forum! Smile

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by effa on Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:58 am

Oh no i hope I havent made things worst for giving him Sad I read online about people giving it to there older rats with HLD I thought it would help if his joints where inflamed. http://www.sandyscrittercity.com/careoftheelderlyrat.htm

I will devise him a new kidney friendly diet and see if that helps thanks SmileLove 

effa

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoundz on Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:56 am

I can't open that link for some reason :/

But anyway, don't worry - I am sure you've not made things worse, we all try our best and sometimes get it wrong Smile but I really don't think it's necessary to give painkillers or anti inflammatory drugs for HLD, instead, if you feel like you should be doing something, see how hydrotherapy goes, you may find he struggles and panics a lot about water, in which case, don't do it, but it might be worth a try? A shallow sink of water, or a bath if your sink is too small, luke warm, and let ratty swim about in it - it can give the joints great ease.

xx

Zoundz
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.irishrats.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: