Litter tray?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Litter tray?

Post by Moomin on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:50 am

Hi folks! I just have a few questions about litter trays Embarrassed  Smile 

What do you fill the litter tray with? Does cat litter work and if so which brand should I use?
How do you train rats to use the litter tray?
Which tray is best,the corner litter trays or the square ones?
Moomin

Back to top Go down

Re: Litter tray?

Post by smokierat on Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:13 am

Personally i never used a different substrate in the litter trays,and it still worked.Im not sure about cat litter,but ive heard you shouldnt use clumping cat litter for safety reasons.Just observe where they naturally go to the toilet,put a litter tray there and keep putting the poops they do else where in that tray,they should cotton on with time Smile i found the corner ones to be best,as they tend to go to the toilet in the corners.

Back to top Go down

Post by DJF on Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:16 am

Hi,

A rats preferential pooping spots (generally) are corners. So, I suggest corner litter trays. I like the trays that say they are rabbit sized (which they are not really) like these: http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/rodents/care_grooming/toilet/126867

Regarding litter, I use a paper pellet called Back2Nature which is available in Dublin but I am not sure of its general availability. The criteria for a good litter would be non-scented, dust free and non-clumping. I am sure some cat litters fit this criteria but I don't know which ones. Litter is one of those things that pet shops like charging a fortune for so it might be a good idea to order in bulk online

Litter box training. Hmm, mine are litter boxed trained but I cannot claim to have trained them. They picked their poop corners, I put in litter trays and they just use them. But, litter box training is really only for poop. Be prepared for a little pee here and there, especially in hammocks which can get quite pongy rather quickly!

Gone Fishing: Maud, Constance, Peig, Hillary

"As the Amazing Maurice said, it was just a story about people and rats. And the difficult part of it was deciding who the people were, and who were the rats."
DJF
Oldie
Oldie

Back to top Go down

Post by Moomin on Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:11 am

Thanks for the answers guys! Big Grin 
I'll defiantly go for one of those corner litter trays then! I'll have a look at different litters online that will be suitable for rats and I know a place that has quite a good selection of cat litters so i'm sure i'll find some,i'll look out for the ''Back2Nature'' brand as well. Grin 

Moomin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum